Thursday, December 15, 2011

Beauty, skin deep?

Hello again! Today I'd like to talk a bit about something that I find quite disturbing, and that is that on one particular list of "101 most beautiful living actresses" Natalie Portman was number 1! Now, you probably don't know me very well so I will fill you in.

I hate Natalie Portman. I think she is a horrible actress, (not as bad as Kiera Knightly but that's not saying much) and I just don't see everyones fascination with her! I will admit that she has a sort of, Audry Hepburn beauty about her, and I am all about old-school beauty. So maybe it's completely biased and you shouldn't take any of what I have to say, into account. But if you weren't going to hear me out you wouldn't be on this blog, would you!

I don't have a large repertoire of actresses stored away in my mind, but there are two women who always stand out when I think of beautiful actresses.. And, you may be surprised! 

First I would have to say that Barbara Bel Geddes sort of snuck up on me the first time I saw Alfred Hitchcocks "Vertigo". She looks fairly normal, not exceptionally beautiful, a little mousey even. But I realized the more I watched, that's EXACTLY what I like about her! She is a normal working class woman in the film, and she is hopelessly devoted to "Scottie" James Stuarts character (another favorite actor of mine). I think for me, her beauty outshines Kim Novak, who is almost model-esque in her beauty. Here is my all time favorite photo of Barbara, probably because the first film I ever saw her in, was Vertigo, and it's my all time favorite film!



There are many other actresses I consider to be beautiful, but number 2 on my list would have to be Joice Van Patten. I'm ashamed to admit I have never seen any of her films, except the episode of the Twilight Zone called "Passage on the Lady Anne" A great episode with kind of a predictable twist, but still one of the best. Joice plays a woman desperate to get her husband back, since their marriage he has become more and more devoted to his work, and not his wife. She plays this role flawlessly, and what's more she looks marvelous during every second of it! The way she reacts to her husbands insults feels so real, I always find myself making a sort of sympathetic face to the screen, I just feel so bad for the poor thing! That I think is so impressive, and she definitely uses her looks to an advantage, she is a small woman, and she uses her face and body to really give this character life. 


Well, I suppose that's all for this installment. You guys should leave me questions/comments below! Who are your favorite actresses? Why do you find them beautiful? Thanks for tuning in, catch you later!


                         

No comments:

Post a Comment